September 28, 2011 | No responses.
Sweet Fried Plantains, or Plátanos Maduros, is a popular savory sweet Cuban dish that won’t break the bank. This dish can be served as a side or as dessert.
Yields: 1-2 servings
1 very ripe plantain with black skin
Canola or corn oil
Fresh lime (optional)
1. Peel the black skin from the plantain and slice it diagonally into rounds that are about ½ inch thick.
2. Heat a generous amount of oil in a skillet. Oil should be about ¼ of an inch deep in pan. When a drop of water sizzles in the oil, it is ready for plantains to be cooked.
3. Drop plantain rounds into oil until the bottoms are golden brown.
4. Turn over each slice and cook until both sides are evenly golden, with a hint of caramelization on the edges.
5. Remove from oil and transfer to paper towels to drain; pat off any excess oil. Serve hot.
If desired, squeeze some fresh lime juice on them.